Friday, April 18, 2008

Shook to Sleep

While you were snug in your beds this morning at 4:36 a.m. you were being shook by an earthquake that measured 5.2 on the Richter Scale. Its epicenter struck at near the town of West Salem, Ill., which is a small town that lies near the Wabash fault line, or the larger New Madrid fault.




This is big news here because we don't see earthquakes as large or as often as some of our other states. In the past two weeks alone the United States (Puerto Rico included) has experienced 1009 earthquakes. So by that measure if I have ever been to California, Alaska, or Nevada, I probably experienced an earthquake before...but then again that is where the major fault lines fall (San Andreas and Denali).

Do you know we learned all this in 7th and 8th grade yet I feel like a seismologist working for the USGS...awesome!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Rob...I didn't even know we had a fault close to us...I don't think I'd enjoy feeling it, though. I'm enjoying scanning everyone's blogs..it is interesting. I love Joe's pictures...looks like a beautiful place. Love Mom